Cycle 2 Reflection

 In reflecting on all of the various texts for this cycle, I kept returning to the idea of human beings putting up barriers between ourselves and nature. These barriers exist both in the physical world, in our societal structures like curriculum, and in our minds and, as Richard Louv says, “reduce the richness of the human experience.” I was struck by Jill Lepore’s exploration of breastfeeding and the commercialization of pumping both in its literal implications and how it can operate as a metaphor for the larger societal disconnect from nature. Lepore questions whether it is the mother or the milk that is really valued and explores how milk and breastfeeding have been commodified through the wide use of breast pumps. The pump itself is an artifice that separates mother and child, but in many cases pumping is used as a way to continue providing breast milk while returning to work because of the U.S. labor laws that only allow for three months of (unpaid) leave (Lepore). These laws and the work-obsessed culture of the U.S. could both be viewed as barriers to the natural (and recommended) experience of mother and child bonding through breastfeeding. I don’t think there should be shame or blame put on mothers for their choices around breastfeeding or choosing to go to work, but I do think that this represents one example of how both adults and children are conditioned by society to act in ways that take them away from interaction with the natural world. I am grateful that at my school teachers get a year of maternity leave and job protection, but I know that protection probably exists in large part because teaching is disproportionately female and teachers tend to have strong unions. I wonder how our country would be different if all women had the maternity leave rights that many teachers have and if those that needed it were afforded appropriate financial assistance. 

My literary brain also can’t help but consider how the discussion around breastfeeding can represent the larger disconnect between human beings and that which gives us life, the Earth. Louv powerfully addresses the therapeutic power of interacting with nature, for those with issues such as ADHD, and also because “as the young spend less and less of their lives in natural surroundings, their senses narrow, physiologically and psychologically.” This brief excerpt really hit home for me as a teacher. I have taught every academic level at our school, from resource (special ed.) to AP, and I think each and every student would benefit from more time in nature. The land-based education that indigenous peoples have been engaging in for generations is something can cannot and should not be replicated by mainstream schools because it is inherently tied to the indigenous lands and practices, as well as intellectual decolonization, but I do think the practice of teaching students to make connections between nature and academic concepts, to broaden their senses and their minds, is a worthy pursuit. In addition to the just physical barriers of the school building, there are several things that make such changes difficult. 

Earlier in quarantine, there was a movement in our school to reduce students’ screen time and to get them outside in some way, which I think is a good idea, but the value of actually being in nature wasn’t communicated to teachers or students. There is no “integrated curriculum” of the kind Jardine discusses. Each discipline is practically siloed off from the others; even as some teachers try to make connections between disciplines, making such connections is not an aim within the curriculum that is valued by the school as a whole. If students struggle to make connections between these anthropocentric disciplines, how can we expect them to make explore something such as the relationship between the paper on which the book they read is printed and the trees and broader ecosystem that led to that paper, or even themselves, to be in the classroom in a given moment? We cannot, unless we guide them to do so. I can’t say I know how to do that in full, but I think it requires a fundamental shift in our thinking, away from anthropocentrism and towards Aldo Leopold’s concept of the land ethic, with human beings as just one member of a land-community (Leopold, 1946/1966 as cited in Kissling and Bell, 2019). It requires a disruption of “our deeply held beliefs and images of understanding, self understanding, and mutual understanding...it also belies the desire to finalize, control, master, and foreclose on vital curricular issues” (Jardine, 1990). In other words, it requires us to see the world much more as Greta Thunberg does. She understands that the climate crisis imperils the Earth, and thus our home, so it requires immediate and complete attention. I remember the global school strike a few years ago; very few students from our school were part of it. While we want students to intellectually acknowledge there is a problem, we do not teach that disruption is necessary. We do not teach advocacy and “the ecological crisis is framed as a scientific challenge to be solved with the latest technology, not as a crisis rooted in modern cultural beliefs and practices requiring significant changes to daily living (Kissling and Bell, 2019).This isn’t advocacy for a political party, but for the earth itself.  But as the survey of the Pennsylvania teachers clearly conveys, teaching about climate change or environmental degradation is politicized and seen as a “controversial topic. However, I do find hope in the teachers’ responses. Many of them want to teach more about environmental issues, but they just don't have the professional resources and development. I imagine what our schools and society could be like if we gave not only the social studies teachers, but teachers in all disciplines, from the earliest grades, training and resources on how to teach about environmental issues and make students feel like citizens in a community of all nature.


Comments

  1. I enjoyed the point you made in the beginning; that we have been putting barriers between ourselves and nature. It ties into what I understood from Richard Louv as well. Children now don’t go out and experience nature as our generation did when we were young. I also enjoyed your exploration of Jill Lepore’s article. I also was intrigued by her question of whether it was the act of breastfeeding or the milk itself that was important, because the emotional bonding that takes place during the act of breastfeeding is just as important as the nutrition that the baby obtains from the milk, and the commercialization of the breast pump and the promotion of the idea of pumping-friendly work environments takes away from that essential experience that serves as the baby’s first learning experience when they come into the world. I’ve worked in the Middle East my whole life and it has been really good knowing that when I decide to become a parent, I have up to 2 years unpaid maternity leave with job security, and this allows mothers here to stay at home and bond with their children more.
    I also agree with you that children would benefit from more time in nature, and as you said, we should not necessarily duplicate the land-based education project, but there are many ways to engage students with nature during the learning experience. The simplest thing that can be done is that we can someone conduct class outside. We’ve engaged in this practice in my school, and the results were very promising, students were engaged and active participants in the class, and they managed to disconnect from their laptops and enjoy the experience of sitting in a circle and participating in an active discussion. Of course, this is becoming much more challenging now with COVID, because classes are online, and we have been receiving a lot of feedback from parents and students that we need to reduce student screen time. As teachers, we also feel like we need to reduce screen time because it’s impacting us all negatively. I wonder if you’ve had any success with that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Tom, thank you for sharing your insights! I really enjoyed reading your post as always. Your noting that the “work-obsessed culture” of the U.S. increased isolation between humans and nature resonated with me. (I personally think it is more like a global trend) I am afraid whether we are conditioning ourselves to ‘perform’ from an early age by using school as a tool for that. Han Byung-Chul (2020), who is a philosopher located in Germany, claims that, “In ancient Greek, ‘school’ is scholé, that is, leisure. Schools of higher education would thus be schools of higher leisure. Today, they are no longer places of high leisure. They have become places of production, factories of human capital” (p.41). Would rebuilding the connection between nature and humans resolve this problem and bring forth the importance of leisure and life as part of education? There might be structural and emotional barriers to overcome if we integrate land-based approach into school curriculum. As you noted, the segmented subject disciplines and lack of resources for teachers (including professional development) can be considered as barriers to create an interdisciplinary natural curriculum. I wonder what might have been changed if “the value of being in nature” was well communicated to teachers and students in schools (including yours). It is sad that schools often avoid talking about ‘controversial topics’ and censor teachers’ voices. I wonder what we are afraid of. Kissling and Bell (2019) say that fear can keep us from having conversation about important (and often controversial) topics. Is the fear something can be overcome? We will talk more about how to deal with the discomfort and controversial issues in class in relation to culture in the cycle 4. I think you will find the readings in the cycle interesting!

    Reference:
    Han, B.-C. (2020). The disappearance of rituals. Polity Press.
    Kissling, M. T., & Bell, J. T. (2020). Teaching social studies amid ecological crisis. Theory and Research in Social Education, 48(1), 1–31. https://doi.org/10.1080/00933104.2019.1673267

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Concluding Post: An Open Letter to My Students

Cycle 1 Reflection