Cycle 3 Reflection
Since last March, I feel like I have experienced almost every form of teaching: full in-person before the shutdown, then fully remote with students I already knew with a synchronous option but no obligation, then remote with brand new students, and now a few iterations of hybrid synchronous lessons. It has been exhausting, to say the least. But I think a lot of the reason why it has been exhausting is that it takes more energy, effort, and time to try to have the same kinds of community, personal relationships, and in-depth conversations that come more naturally in the classroom. Last spring was about survival and giving students “grace over grades,” prioritizing their well-being, which I fully supported. I used that opportunity to revise some of my grading policies regarding late work and plagiarism to give students more opportunities, explain themselves, and reflect on their actions instead of just punishing them. These are policies I’ve continued and built on this year. As Darling-Hammond states, it is abundantly clear that “students’ social and emotional experiences influence their learning” (2020). I can’t count the number of students I know who lost relatives, had family members hospitalized, or had a parent laid off. The pandemic created new stressors in students’ and teachers’ lives, but it also brought our school’s collective attention to all of the socio-emotional issues students were already dealing with, that were not being fully acknowledged in our planned or enacted curriculum.
For example, student stress can increase the likelihood to academically dishonest behavior such as plagiarism or copying on a test (unfortunately, I can’t find the study I read last year that supported this). I had one very hard-working AP student last year who copied an entire essay verbatim. When I realized this, I was more surprised than angry. My first reaction was to ask him why he plagiarized, and he told me that his family had been severely impacted by covid-19 but didn’t want to say more. He was overwhelmed and made a bad choice. I wondered how giving him a zero (tanking his grade for the MP), per school policy, would really be in service of him as a student or a person. So I told him to write a letter to himself, explaining his actions and the possible repercussions if he were to do this again (such as expulsion from college). I also let him write a new essay and replaced his missing grade with the new one. In the revision for that new essay, I ended up having a great conversation with him about his essay and our relationship remained positive through the end of the year. I don’t know what would have happened to that relationship if I had just punished him instead of trying to understand his choices and help him the best I could. One positive aspect of teaching this last year is that I feel more compelled, and supported by administration, to prioritize my students’ well-being over grades or assignments. I start from a place of compassion and curiosity, asking students “help me understand why” instead of meting out punishments based on policies that I didn’t get to write and that don’t know our circumstances.
Our school has been more lenient in enforcing grading policies on the books, given failing or close to failing students more time to make up work, and provided some social-emotional learning training (SEL) for staff, but it has not seemed as integrated as the level that Darling-Hammond speaks of. I hope that the changes our school has made can be codified as policy as opposed to just being for these extraordinary circumstances. Additionally, some sort of working relationship with experienced professionals to help with SEL and a more clear communication structure for assisting struggling students would be really beneficial. I don’t know if our administration fully understands how isolating this last year has been for teachers and how ‘giving us room to do what we think is best’ can actually be really emotionally draining and lead to wildly inconsistent policies. On a macro level, I agree with Darling-Hammond to improve educator preparation and professional development, and that this should happen on local, state, and national levels, but I don’t know what “incentives” she is actually referring to. And I wonder if the more pressing question is not what are the incentives for improving education, but what will actually get those in power to recognize and act on these incentives? Some teacher’s unions (like NJEA) are strong, but I think public buy-in would be required for the necessary expenditures and that would take a massive campaign. Maybe the shock of this pandemic will cause a change. Because I know that a return to “normal” will be extremely detrimental. We haven’t even begun to address the trauma that all of our students will experience once the pandemic is actually over.
I agree with Darling-Hammond that teachers should be trained in face-to-face, remote, and hybrid teaching, and the synchronous and asynchronous possibilities for those modes, but I think it would be insane to expect teachers to be shifting between those different modes throughout the year without notice far in advance. While I have come to appreciate the value of asynchronous learning at times, and the creation of my own videos or the use of resources like Khan Academy or AP Daily videos (via Collegeboard), the synchronous hybrid model is extremely dissatisfying. I have half my class in person and half on Zoom, and I feel like I am not able to devote my full attention to either. I strongly agree with the claim that "teachers also need to learn how to support their work with formative assessments, how to enable social-emotional learning, and how to engage in trauma-informed and healing-informed practice" and that more communication between alumni and student teachers as well as role-playing teacher-student and teacher-parent interactions should be a necessary part of teacher prep programs (Darling-Hammond, 2020). However, Darling-Hammond focuses a lot on how to better the current educational model, as opposed to the overhaul to it that Ken Robinson or Salman Khan (to a lesser degree) address. I think that one way to fulfill the more individualized learning model that Robinson advocates for is through asynchronous learning through videos like Khan Academy's, but I think what Khan is missing is the personal interaction between student and teacher and the benefits of collaboration that Robinson mentions. My students have told me that they prefer a video that I make about a subject to one by an expert teacher they don't know. I believe this is because they actually have a personal relationship with me, so there is to some degree a social component to their processing of a video I make, whereas a stranger guiding them can't interact with them outside of that video. I also have seen that students have been conditioned to shorter videos by social media like Tik Tok, so even the structure of those videos for asynchronous learning might have to adapt. I think a school in the post covid-19 era should do more to individualize learning for student by giving every student an IEP that includes options for asynchronous and hybrid learning options.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHi Tom, how have you been doing? I loved reading your post. I think this is the time teachers should teach administrators with their embodied experience of teaching in various modes during the pandemic. I appreciate your noting that the social and emotional needs of students should be prioritized to grading or academic rigor. Relationality is the key in education in my perspective and I have wondered how online education can help us develop the relationship between teachers and students despite being mediated by screen and technology. You also have noted this by saying that online learning “takes more energy, effort, and time to try to have the same kinds of community, personal relationships, and in-depth conversations that come more naturally in the classroom” I personally have found out that so much more time and steps required to communicate with others on an online platform. How time is perceived in class is also interesting to think about.
ReplyDeleteAnd about your experience with the student in AP class, I think what you have done was both educational and humanizing as you have concerned the crisis we are all in and encouraged students to resubmit the essay to help him learn what he needs to learn. I think that even before the pandemic, students might have suffered from traumatic experiences that can happen in life which we were not giving attention to. Did this experience influence your way of thinking about grading or assessment? I do not have good answers right now but I am trying to find a better way to use grades and assess as a way to encourage students to learn, not to make them feel pushed to produce something that they do not feel compelled to do. I am frustrated that oftentimes the field of education only concentrates on the result, not the process. I am looking forward to hearing from you!
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteHi Tom,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your blog post! I have had similar experiences to you in terms of the expectations from my district throughout the pandemic. There has been more grace given with grades, and there has been a huge emphasis on supporting students emotional needs.
One thing that really stood out to me in your blog post was the example you gave of how you handled the situation with the student who plagiarized their essay. I think the way you handled it was great, giving the student an opportunity to redo it instead of just a failing grade. Your reflection on the situation was also very impactful. I think sometimes as teachers the "easy" thing to do is just to give a failing grade, but is that really what is best for the student? How is giving a failing grade going to impact their view of school, especially when the reason for that grade is what is happening outside of school? I think asking "why?" is so important as teachers and your blog post was a great reminder of that!
- Sydney Hugen